Friday, January 3, 2014

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

How amazing is homemade ice cream?  I typically make mine with half & half (because I always have it in my fridge) instead of heavy cream.  The consistency is a bit more icy than creamy, but that's exactly the way I love it!


This is by far the best tasting ice cream I've made at home so far!  You could also do regular chocolate chip ice cream by leaving out the peppermint extract and the food coloring.  This will be my go-to recipe for ice cream now, making it different by using other flavors or add-ins. 

Makes 2 quarts - serves 8

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

2 cups whole milk
2 cups half & half
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
3-4 drops green food coloring (optional)
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, combine everything except the chocolate chips.  Add the food coloring (if using) to get to the color you want.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Set up ice cream maker and pour mixture into the freezer bowl.  Turn the machine on and let stir until thickened, about 20-25 minutes.  About 5 minutes before it's done, add the chocolate chips.  When the ice cream is finished, scoop out into a freezer container and freeze for at least 2 hours before eating.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved