Friday, January 31, 2014

Almond Poppy Seed Bread

I love when I try something new and it's a hit with the whole family.  That's exactly what happened with this bread.  We have devoured almost an entire loaf since baked yesterday.  I justified having a slice for breakfast because it has an orange juice glaze on top (but who am I kidding?  I eat birthday cake for breakfast with no shame).  


It is moist and not overly sweet.  The glaze seeps down in and makes the top part even more scrumptious.  The baking time is 50-60 minutes and when I checked mine at 50 minutes, the middle wasn't done but the top was pretty golden.  I tented it with foil for the last 10 minutes and they were PERFECT!   


Sometimes I make new things and we like it ok, but I would never make it again - so not the case with this bread!  I would make this again and again - and share with neighbors and family.  The original recipe is from The Girl Who Ate Everything and I'm so glad I tried it! 

Makes 2 loaves

Almond Poppy Seed Bread

3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter

For the glaze
2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 bread loaf pans.  In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.  In a bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, milk, vegetable oil, extracts and melted butter and mix well.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Add the poppy seeds.

Divide the batter into the 2 loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes.  Check at 50 minutes and tent with foil if necessary for the last 10 minutes.  Let cool slightly and glaze.

To make the glaze, simply combine all of the ingredients and stir.  If you want it thicker, add more confectioner's sugar.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved