Friday, October 18, 2013

Caramel Apple Bundt Cake

I love baking with apples in the fall!  I'm on Pinterest (obviously!) and there is just so much inspiration out there.  This recipe comes from the blog, Sugar 'n Spice Gals and it is delicious!  I have a smaller Bundt pan, just a bit skinnier than a normal one, so I ended up with extra batter and an adorable mini version of this cake.


Cute right?  This would be such a nice treat to bring to a Holiday dinner.  Just bring the caramel sauce separate and drizzle on right before serving.  I think you're family would be pretty impressed!


The caramel sauce, as the cake sits, seeps into it and keeps it so moist.  My thought was that I was going to walk the mini one over to my neighbors house, but by the time I allowed my family to cut into one (you know, after the pictures were taken) it was gone in a minute!  Baked goods do not last long in our house... 

Makes 1 large bundt cake (or a couple smaller cakes)

Caramel Apple Bundt Cake

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
apples, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

For the glaze 
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup half & half
1/4 cup butter
dash of salt
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray and flour bundt pan(s).  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla extract.  Mix until everything is incorporated.  In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and give it a stir.  Fold in the apples and pecans (if using).

Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours.  If using 2 smaller pans, you will need to adjust the time - the mini one took about 45 minutes and my thinner bundt pan took 1 hour and 15 minutes.  When your toothpick comes out clean, it's done.  

Let cool for 10 minutes, then gently slide a butter knife down the sides of the pan to loosen the cake.  Flip upside down onto plate or cake stand.  

Make the caramel glaze by combining the brown sugar, half & half, butter and salt in a medium saucepan; heat over medium heat until everything is melted and combined.  Let cool to room temperature then whisk in confectioner's sugar.  Drizzle over the top of the cake.  Cut into slices and serve room temperature.  

(Source:  adapted from Sugar 'n Spice Gals)
  
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved