Sunday, October 6, 2013

Game-day Blackened Chicken Wings

Wings are pretty much perfect football watching food.  These are our favorite way to make wings - on the grill, spicy and crispy.  They take some practice and I'm not the one that typically cooks these...my husband has his method down to a science.  

When we moved to Savannah almost 7 years ago we met a great group that we would always watch college football with.  Our Saturdays were spent drinking and eating good food - there was never a shortage of good food!  Our friends from Louisiana introduced us to this style of wing, and to Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.  Which, I can tell you right now that I have 3 jars of it in my cabinet because I'm always afraid I'm going to run out!   


Hot sauce is brushed on the uncooked wings, followed by a generous sprinkling of Tony's.  The wings are cooked on low at first, then the heat is cranked up to blacken them at the very end.  If you can get your grill to flame up, it really helps with the charring.  I like mine really crispy and typically leave the ones I'm eating on for a couple minutes longer than my husbands.

I'm guessing how much hot sauce and seasoning I use for the purpose of writing this recipe.  I would say do a couple of shakes of hot sauce on each side of the wing, with a generous shake of Tony's.  Cover the whole wing with the a nice layer of the spice.  


Blackened, spicy wing perfection!  If you have a favorite sauce, you can add that on at the end but these have such a great flavor that we don't do a sauce or even dip them in anything. 

Makes 24 wings 

Game-Day Blackened Chicken Wings

1 bag of frozen chicken wings (24 count), thawed
1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
1/4-1/2 cup Tony Chachere's creole seasoning

Preheat grill on high.  Lay the thawed wings on a baking sheet and brush half of the hot sauce evenly onto the top of each wing.  Evenly sprinkle about 1/2 of the seasoning on each wing.  Flip and repeat on the other side.  

Place the wings on the hottest part of the grill and turn to low.  Cook for 5-7 minutes per side until they are pretty much cooked through.  Turn the grill back to high and group the wings onto the hottest part of the grill.  Cook for another couple of minutes to get the outsides crispy and blackened.  If you can get the grill to flame up at this point, it really helps with the charring (sometimes the fat from the wings will cause this and sometimes we spray non-stick cooking spray right on the grill to help it!).  Serve immediately.
  
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing good and helpful article with us. This is very helpful for me.
    Garlic bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWSOME !!!! WILL DO AGAIN !! THANKS FOR THE SPICE INPUT , LOVE IT !!

    ReplyDelete

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved