Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

So this is probably not the Chicken Pot Pie you were thinking...there's not a crust baked on top of this dish.  Where I grew up, in Central Pennsylvania, this is Pot Pie, or more appropriately, Pennsylvania Dutch Pot Pie.  And if you want me to get really technical, "Bott Boi" - which is why we just ended up calling it pot pie.   I can still taste the way my grandmother made it - usually with leftover turkey from a holiday and sometimes with ham (not my favorite).  Creamy and chunky with potatoes, carrots and yummy square-shaped noodles.


This is my very Italian grandma I might add, not a trace of German roots in her!  Just goes to show that it's a PA thing.  And I call these noodles, some may call them dumplings.  I did not use all of the dough that I made.  Just use your best judgement when adding them to the broth.  You know how chunky or not chunky you'll want your soup. 
  

So inviting and comforting looking right?  Perfect for a chilly fall day.  And really very simple!  Serve with good bread for dipping. 

Serves 6-8

Chicken Pot Pie
2 quarts chicken broth
1 quart water
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast 
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 rib celery, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
4 small red potatoes, diced 
2 tablespoons flour added to 2 tablespoons water (for a thickening paste)

For the dough
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt 
3 eggs
1 tablespoon cold water

In a large pot or dutch oven, combine the chicken broth, water, chicken breast, carrots, celery, onion and salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil and let simmer until chicken is cooked through.

While that is cooking, make the dough.  Combine everything except for 1/2 cup of flour.  Mix in the remaining 1/2 cup and continue kneading to form a stiff dough, about 10 minutes.  Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to as thin a sheet as possible.  Cut into 2-inch squares.

When chicken is done, remove, shred and return to pot.  Check broth for seasoning; salt and pepper if needed.  Add half of the potatoes, then about half of the dough squares, gently pushing down each layer until covered with broth.  Repeat with remaining potatoes and dough.  Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes and dough are thoroughly cooked.  Stir in the flour paste at this time to thicken the soup (if desired).
   
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved