Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Zesty Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken

This is another freezer meal I made the other week.  I am in LOVE with those.  Make them in advance and stash them in your freezer.  Then you almost forget about them until you just absolutely can't come up with something for dinner (or just don't have the time!) and voila!  There's your meal!  


This makes a lot of shredded chicken.  My husband and I had a sandwich each the first night, the second night, I made nachos for the kids because we were going out to eat ourselves.  There's still some left over for at least 2 more sandwiches for lunch or dinner again!  


I love that there is bottled barbecue sauce, but then some added ingredients typically found IN barbecue sauce.  It's almost intensifying the flavor.  And those dark brown edges on some of the chicken pieces?  Amazing!  Almost like the chicken was grilled - it has this smoky flavor that is out of this world.  

Serves 4

Zesty Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken

3 large chicken breasts
1 (12 oz) bottle BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of cayenne (or more to taste)

To prepare as a freezer meal:  add all of the ingredients to a resealable plastic freezer bag.  Seal and shake to combine all of the ingredients.  Lay flat in the freezer.

To prepare from frozen in the Crock Pot:  take out of the fridge for about an hour in advance.  Dump everything into the Crock Pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high 4-5 hours.

To prepare fresh in Crock Pot:  add all of the ingredients to the Crock Pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high 4-5 hours.  

Shred chicken and return to the pot, mixing it in with the sauce.  Serve on good rolls.  

(Source:  Recipe adapted from Over the Big Moon)

You may also like:


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved