Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Slow Cooker Southern Style Pulled Pork and Coleslaw

I don't make this that often, but after what I think was one of the best meals we ever had, I will be making this a lot more.  When I made pulled pork previously, I used a very basic rub - brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and done.  It was good, but not nearly as good as the recipe for the rub that my dad gave me, which is what I used this time.  And did I mention this is done in the Crock Pot?   Yeah, easy, one pot and you're set. 

So, my in-laws were visiting and I decided to make this and for the first time, to make a coleslaw to top it.  Oh.Em.Gee.  Never again will I make pulled pork without coleslaw!  I mean, where have you been all my life?!  You can buy the coleslaw, but it was too easy not to just make it.  I'm super picky about my coleslaw anyway so this way I could make it just the way I like it (creamy, but not too creamy that it gets soggy, you know?).  My dad had given me the rub already made, but I know it isn't hard to make.  You may not have all of the ingredients though, so just be sure to check (I know for sure that I don't usually have smoked paprika around, but I will now!).  Enjoy - my mouth is watering just thinking about this.  Hmmm...I do have pork in the freezer.  I should get it out to thaw NOW... :)

Awesome pulled pork on ciabatta rolls

Homemade coleslaw

Serves 8

1 4-5 pound Boston Butt pork roast, cut into 4 equal pieces
1/4 cup smoky-sweet BBQ rub
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 rolls, your choice - we use ciabatta
barbecue sauce

Sweet and Smoky Rub
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard 
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Combine all the ingredients for the rub and place in an airtight container (you will use less than half of what you make).  Rinse the pork and pat dry.  Make little slits throughout the meat and sprinkle with the rub.  Really work the rub into the meat and allow to sit for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, water and garlic in a medium bowl.  

Place pork in Crock Pot and pour vinegar mixture over the pork.  Cover and cook on high for 5-7 hours or until meat is tender and shreds easily.  Transfer pork to cutting board and shred with 2 forks.  I usually place all the pork in a bowl and ladle some of the liquid on top to keep it moist.  Serve on your favorite type of roll, topped with your favorite barbecue sauce (we are Sweet Baby Ray's all the way!) and coleslaw (recipe follows).

Coleslaw
1 bag of shredded coleslaw mix
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed

Combine all the ingredients and allow to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.  
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved