Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cornmeal-Fried Onion Rings

I love onion rings.  Love, love, love.  But, I don't really care for onions all that much, so I don't know what it is about them that I go crazy for?  This is another super delicious Ina Garten recipe that I make over and over again.  Unfortunately, my husband shares my dislike for onions and will actually not even eat these, so I've been know to make just one onion at a time for myself.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do...

These are the BEST onion rings I have ever had (or made).  They are light, crisp and so flavorful.  Basically, there's no heavy batter, but instead a light dusting of flour and cornmeal.  I try to cut these as thin as possible and even use a sweet onion to cut that really strong onion flavor.  You can use a Spanish onion or yellow onions, but you will need 2 large or 3 small if following the below recipe.  Try these on your next Burger night and your family will flip!!  

Serves 4-6 

2 large onions
2 cups buttermilk
kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 quart vegetable oil

Peel the onions, slice them 1/2 inch thick, and separate them into rings.  Combine the buttermilk, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl.  Add the onion rings, toss well and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes (they can sit in the buttermilk for a few hours).  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Set aside.  

When you're ready to fry the onion rings, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with paper towels.  

Heat the oil to 350 degrees in a large pot or dutch oven.  Working in batches, lift some onions out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the flour mixture.  Drop into the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes, until golden brown, turning once with tongs.  Don't crowd them!  Place the finished onion rings on the baking sheet, sprinkle liberally with salt and keep them warm in the oven while you fry the next batches.  Continue frying the onion rings and placing them in the warm oven until all the onions are fried.  They will remain crisp in the oven for up to 30 minutes.  Serve hot.  


            
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved