Monday, August 6, 2012

Brownie Bottom Coconut Bars

I don't really cook with coconut all that much...it's just not one of those ingredients that I always have on hand.  It's one of those things that I consciously have to buy at the grocery store, not one of those you pick up without thinking, like milk or butter.  But I love it!  And I wish I did have it around more often!  I think I've pinned about 20 different coconut recipes on Pinterest and will now definitely make sure I have it in my cupboard at all times.  This recipe is a simplified version of one from Martha Stewart (although her's is pretty easy peasy too).  These are basically a coconut macaroon sitting on top of a fudgy brownie - if that is wrong, then I don't want to be right!  So yum!  

Makes 24 bars

1 box of brownie mix (I used Betty Crocker Low Fat - crazy, but they are so fudgy and dense!) and ingredients from the box (water, eggs, oil)
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 package of sweetened shredded coconut (7 oz), 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare brownie mix according to package and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges start to pull away from the sides.  Do not overbake, they will not be done yet! 

Meanwhile, prepare coconut topping:  In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Gently mix in flour and coconut (reserving 1/2 cup).  Drop by mounds onto slightly cooled brownie base and with moistened fingers, spread mixture out to cover entire pan.  Sprinkle with reserved coconut.  

Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.  Let cool in pan and cut into 24 squares.  
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved