Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

I had so much fun making these!  Mainly because my 2 1/2 year old was able to help me decorate (she was so proud of herself).  Funny, but I only had Valentine's sprinkles (little red and pink hearts), which is why I chose to make the frosting pink for these.  I will definitely have to re-post this in February because how cute would these be to take to your kid's school for Valentine's Day?  I found this recipe for sugar cookie bars on  the blog Six Sisters' Stuff (which is so great, lots of family friendly recipes and projects) and immediately fell in love because of the simplicity!  Instead of making a ton of individual cookies, waiting for them all to cool after each set is baked, you are just making one big bar cookie and frosting only once!  And the cookie itself is so good, just about the perfect sugar cookie.  I left mine a little under baked (as I do with all of my cookies to get that sort of gooey middle) and they were fantastic.  I hope you enjoy making and eating these as much as my family and I did! 

 See?  So proud...my cute Miss Bean helping me with the sprinkles

And her tiny little fingers being sneaky...

Makes one huge pan of cookies!

Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 11x18 baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.  In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg.  Add vanilla.  

In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.  Add to wet mixture and mix until just combined.  Spread batter on greased baking sheet, using your hands to evenly spread over entire pan (spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray or dip in water to avoid sticking).  Bake for 10-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (or almost clean - like I said, I like mine a little underdone).  Cool completely before frosting (recipe follows).

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioner's sugar
2-3 teaspoons milk 
food coloring

Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.  Add confectioner's sugar, vanilla extract and milk until it becomes the consistency of frosting (add more milk if it's too thick, more sugar if it's too thin).  Add a few drops of food coloring (any color you like) and mix well.  Spread on cooled sugar cookie bars and top with sprinkles!

(Source:  Adapted from Six Sister's Stuff)
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved