Thursday, August 23, 2012

Spicy Chicken Nuggets with Copycat Zaxby's Sauce

Being from the Northeast, I never had the pleasure of eating at a Zaxby's until I moved down South.  And now let me go even further and say that I never tried a Zaxby's until, I think 4 months ago?  I am now officially addicted to their chicken fingers and well, my friends, if you are not familiar with the sauce that accompanies these chicken fingers, you are missing out.  But, miss out no more, because here is a copycat version that even amazed me how close it is to the real thing!  It's salty and peppery, sweet and spicy and just so flipping good!  I adapted a recipe that was posted in the Atlanta Journal Constitution (because so many fans were looking for their recipe!).  I love Worcestershire Sauce so I added more than they called for and tons of pepper.  And let's not forget these chicken nuggets!  Spicy and crispy and bite size to just dip and pop in your mouth. This is just about the perfect meal or snack to make while watching football games (can't wait for fall!).    

Serves 2-4

Spicy Chicken Nuggets with Copycat Zaxby's Sauce

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite size pieces
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons grill seasoning (I used Weber's Kickin' Chicken)
2 tablespoons salt
Canola oil for frying

For the sauce
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon black pepper

Heat a couple inches of oil in large pot to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl, whisk the flour, grill seasoning and salt.  Add the chicken pieces and stir until each piece is coated.  Remove chicken from the flour mixture, shaking off the excess and fry in batches (do like 3 or 4 batches).  Fry for 5-6 minutes (if your pieces are bigger than bite size it will take a little longer).  Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

To make the sauce: combine the first 4 ingredients and mix well.  Cover the surface of the sauce with black pepper until just coated.  Blend well and repeat again (do this process to taste.  I did it 3 times).  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to mingle.  

(Source:  Adapted from Jo Cooks and Food.com)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved