Saturday, May 24, 2014

Blueberry Muffins with Pecan Crumble

I haven't been doing a lot of baking lately and truth is, I've been trying to justify baking sweets when my family and I have been trying to watch what we eat for the past couple of weeks.  Well, I am here to tell you that there is a way to give into those sweet tooth cravings and maintain that healthy lifestyle.  And this is one of those treats...     


These blueberry muffins are out of this world...they are moist, sweet and chock full of berries.  Not to mention the pecan cinnamon crunch topping.  And guess what?!  They are made with all clean eating ingredients.  


My children love them and I don't feel bad about letting them eat these for breakfast or a snack.  I used whole wheat flour, coconut oil, even coconut sugar.  I think that's why they are a bit darker in color than regular muffins would be.  Coconut sugar is dark, like brown sugar, but you use it as 1:1 ratio to regular white sugar.     


And, if you've never heard of coconut sugar, your're not the only one.  I was researching alternatives to sugar and came across it online.  I was shocked when I saw it in my regular old grocery store!  I thought I was either going to have to order it or get it from Whole Foods, which I'm proud to say our quaint city of Savannah just recently got.  Look at us, getting all sophisticated and grown up.  

Makes 12 muffins

Blueberry Muffins with Pecan Crumble

2 cups white whole wheat flour, divided
2/3 cup coconut sugar, divided
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed)
1 egg
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted

For the crumble
3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 tablespoon chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoon organic unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a 12-count muffin tin with liners.  

Make the crumble by combining everything except the butter in a small bowl.  Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and mix with a fork until just moistened.  

Make the muffins:  in a large bowl, whisk the flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  Gently stir in the blueberries.  In a medium bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and oil.  Add to blueberry mixture and stir until just moistened.  Spoon into muffins cups, filling about 3/4 of the way full.  

With your fingers, crumble topping over each muffin.  Bake, rotating halfway through until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center, 18-20 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Carefully remove muffins from tin and transfer to a cooling rack.  Serve warm and store remaining muffins in a sealed container in the fridge (they are very moist and keep better chilled).  

(Source:  Adapted from Clean Eating Mag)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved