Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ricotta Cake

Ricotta cake is a dessert that takes me straight back to my childhood.  I remember having this at my Italian grandmother's house after having one of those huge dinners - you know, there was always a huge pan of lasagna or bowl of pasta and salad, which was then immediately followed by a roast turkey or pork.  Always SO much food! 


I found this in my recipe binder and it had been given to me by my grandmother's best friend - I know my family will remember Angie!  Her and my grandmother were a riot.  Both the shortest little old Italian ladies, so cute... 

Ricotta cake is a staple in Italy and I've read that it's available at all supermarkets and bakeries.  One day I'll have to find that out for myself!   It's a super moist, almost pudding like cake.


You wouldn't know it to look at it, but the ricotta mixture is actually poured on top of the cake batter before baking.  Then, it sinks straight to the bottom.  Dust with confectioner's sugar and/or serve with berries or a light citrus glaze.  It really is heavenly!  

Serves 18

Ricotta Cake

1 box yellow cake mix and ingredients needed for cake
2 lbs ricotta cheese
3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
confectioner's sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare cake mix according to directions and pour into a 9 x 13-inch pan (not greased).

Mix ricotta, sugar, eggs and vanilla and spread over top of the cake batter.  Bake for 20 minutes more than the directions on the box of cake mix.  Check when there is about 10 minutes left and tent with foil if the top is turning too brown.  

Let cool before dusting with confectioner's sugar and serving. 

You may also like:


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved