Friday, April 4, 2014

Dutch Oven No-Knead Crusty Bread

I've been really enjoying trying out different types of bread making.  And I LOVE this recipe!  So easy that you'll want to make bread ALL the time.  Not to mention so unbelievably delicious (and beautiful, right?). 

You'll want to read through this entire post for extra little tips as far as handling and baking the dough.  I've included some step-by-step pics as well.  


I mean just gorgeous.  Look at that crusty top.  In the middle the dough is chewy and absolute perfection.  You'll notice little black dots in this finished loaf - they are poppy seeds.  I made an Everything loaf!   You can add whatever you like to this dough - cheese, herbs, nuts, etc.  I've added the amounts I used to make the Everything loaf at the bottom of the recipe. 

I used 2 different sizes of Dutch Ovens.  This orange one is a 3 quart and the loaf fit perfectly.  I also used a 7 quart and is was fine, but the bread spread out a little and wasn't so round.  Still delicious!   


All the ingredients get mixed by hand and what results is an incredibly sticky dough that requires no kneading.  At this point, you can add other ingredients to flavor the bread. 


It will look at bit smoother, but still rather messy once everything comes together.  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 12-18 hours.  I did mine close to bedtime, let it sit overnight and baked it the next morning. 


It will double in size and look like this.  If you're ready to bake, preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Once it reaches 450, place your Dutch Oven in the oven with lid on.  Let heat for 30 minutes.     


Meanwhile, prepare a work surface heavily (and I mean heavily!) covered with flour.  Flour your hands and dump the dough onto the floured surface.  This makes 2 loaves so you'll need to cut it in half (keep flouring hands because it's still incredibly sticky).  Cover the loaves with plastic wrap and let sit until pot is heated.

Carefully remove the pot from the oven - remember it's crazy hot!  Pick up one of the dough balls and drop it into the pot.  You do NOT need to oil your Dutch oven or cast iron pot.  Doesn't matter if it's enamel coated or not, you shouldn't have any trouble with the dough sticking after it's finished baking.    


Pictured here are the 3 loaves I made - the 2 on the right are plain loaves and I followed the recipe below.  The one on the left is the Everything loaf and I actually halved the recipe just to make the one.  I obviously used a bit more flour on my hands for that one, but I love the way it looks.  So rustic!  

The back right one is the loaf that was in the 7 quart - notice it is more oval shaped because it's spread out a bit.  


Wouldn't these make the nicest gifts?  For a new neighbor or just to do something nice for someone.  The loaves are so gorgeous they may not believe you made it!  

Makes 2 loaves

Dutch Oven No-Knead Crusty Bread

6 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
3 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.  Add water and mix until everything comes together (it will be very sticky and wet).  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12-18 hours.  
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450 degrees.  When it reaches 450 degrees, place a dutch oven or cast iron pot with lid in the oven for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball (you'll need floured hands as well!).  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit while pot is heating.  Carefully remove HOT pot from oven and drop in dough.  

Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove bread from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

To make Everything bread:  add 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, 2 teaspoons dried chopped onion, 2 teaspoons sesame seeds.  

(Source:  Recipe from Simply So Good)

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Do you thnk I could freeze 1/2 the dough? I only have one dutch oven and would be only making one at a time...

    ReplyDelete

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved