Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

If you've heard of Paula Deen, you've probably heard of her Gooey Butter Cake.  Her variation includes using cake batter as a crust with a topping made of cream cheese, powdered sugar, eggs.  Almost like a cheesecake on top of a cake!  I love chocolate chip cheesecake so I decided to make my version with chocolate chips.  


I'd say my family enjoyed it quite a bit!  1/2 the pan gone before I could take my pictures...


You can also sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving.  It's suggested that it's served at room temperature or warm.  I have this habit of keeping most of my baked goods in the fridge so I did the same with this and ate it cold.  Tasted just fine to me!  

Serves 6-8

Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

1 package of yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick of butter, melted 

For the topping
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick butter, melted
1 (16 oz) box of powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine the cake mix, egg and butter and mix well with an electric mixer.  Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan. 

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the eggs, vanilla and butter and beat together.  Add the powdered sugar and mix well.  Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.  Spread over cake batter and back for 40 to 50 minutes.  The center should be a little gooey so do not over bake.  

(Source:  Adapted from Paula Deen)
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I have all of the ingredients in my cabinet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Well, I'm sure you're family will thank you! :)

      Delete

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved