Thursday, September 12, 2013

Refrigerator Spicy Dill Pickles

I'm trying to learn a bit about canning, but to add to that to my list of projects and hobbies might be a bit too much for me.  For these dill pickles, I took the easy way out - I made refrigerator pickles!  No 10 (or how many it is) step canning process.  No boiling water or worrying if I sealed them right.  Just my style.   


And since these aren't really being canned, you can use plastic Tupperware containers or glass.  Just make sure you have a tight fitting lid.  And they should last for up to 2 months in your fridge - if they don't get gobbled up way before that!


This recipe is adapted from Bobby Flay and uses rice wine vinegar.  It definitely gives them a different, tangier flavor than regular white vinegar.  These are SO good!  Addicting.  

You'll use English, or hothouse or "gourmet" cucumbers (as my grocery store calls them).  They are the kind you will find wrapped in plastic to keep fresh rather than a wax seal.  No need to peel or seed them! 


My canning jars were 12.5 oz and only 4" tall - so I made my pickles mini and bite size.   That also means I filled more jars than if you made them a little longer, like regular pickles.  

Serves 8
Refrigerator Spicy Dill Pickles

4 cups rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons dried dill
2 English cucumbers, washed, cut in 1/2 horizontally, then quartered lengthwise (and cut once again depending on height of jars)

Combine the vinegar, honey, pepper flakes, peppercorns, coriander, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.  Let boil for 2 minutes; remove from the heat and let sit until cooled to room temperature.  Add the dill.  Place the cut cucumbers in your storage container or jar and pour the cooled vinegar mixture over them.  Refrigerate, sealed tightly for 24 hours or up to 4 days.  Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 months.

(Source:  Adapted from Bobby Flay)
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved