Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Everything Bagels - and Salt, too!

These were made by my husband's request - we typically always have bagels in the freezer, store bought, not even from a good bakery or anything.  Since I've discovered how easy making bread is (really it is!) he put in a special request for everything bagels.  And they are just as easy as any bread I've made at home so far!  


I use instant yeast, so it's a matter of throwing all of the ingredients into the bowl of my stand mixer and mixing/kneading with my dough hook until everything is combined and it pulls away from the sides.  It takes about an hour for the dough to double in size, then it's cut into equal pieces, rolled into balls and a hole poked through the middle. 


A little egg wash will help your toppings stick and give them a nice, golden sheen when they come out of the oven.  My everything bagels had poppy seeds, sesame seeds, chopped dried onion and salt.  This recipe can easy be cut in half if you want to make a smaller batch.  


So I made our two favorite types of bagels - both of which I introduced to my husband.  He was (and still is for the most part) a cinnamon raisin man.  I couldn't tell you the first time I ever had a salt bagel or what made me try it, but I am hooked!  I'm also not partial to butter or cream cheese, toasted or untoasted.  It's whatever I'm in the mood for.  Hope you enjoy these as much as my family did! 

Makes 16 bagels

Everything Bagels - and Salt, too!

2 1/2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons instant yeast
7 cups bread flour
3 teaspoons salt

For the toppings
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons dried chopped onions
3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 teaspoons sea salt 

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine all the ingredients needed for the dough.  Mix on low until all the flour is incorporated, then turn up to medium speed and mix for about 5 minutes.  Turn the dough out (the dough should have completely pulled away from the bowl and sides should be pretty clean) and spray same bowl with non-stick cooking spray.  Return the dough to the bowl, giving it turn or two to coat in oil.  Let rest, covered with a clean dish towel for about an hour.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 16 equal pieces.  Roll into a ball and use a finger to press and stretch a small hole through.  Allow them to rest for about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, put a large pot of water on to boil.  Spray an 11 x 18-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place each one of the bagels (2 -3 at a time depending on how big your pot is) into the boiling water for 45 seconds to a minute on each side.  Remove and place on prepared baking sheet.  Do this until all the bagels have been boiled. 

For the everything bagels:  combine the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried onion and 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt.  Brush 8 of the bagels with the beaten egg and sprinkle topping on each one.

For the salt bagels:  combine 2 teaspoons of the kosher salt and sea salt.  Brush 8 of the bagels with the beaten egg and sprinkle topping on each one.  

After the toppings are on, bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.  Enjoy immediately or store in a airtight container for 4-5 days.  Or freeze to enjoy for longer!  

(Source:  dough recipe adapted from A Beautiful Mess)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved