Thursday, December 19, 2013

Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze

I love a cake with fresh apples!  And the brown sugar, caramel glaze puts this cake over the top.  Pecans are optional, but they go so well with the cinnamon and apple that unless you are totally against (or allergic to) nuts, I would absolutely use them. 


I used a spring form pan because I wanted the glaze to drip down the sides.  If you use a square or round cake pan, then your glaze will just be on top - and just as good!  


The cake is moist and sweet and just so good!  I think it's best served at room temperature, but I did end up keeping it in the fridge.  

Serves 8-10

Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze

2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped apples
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

For the glaze
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon half & half
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8-pan (round or square) or a spring form pan.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs until they are light in color and foamy.  Add the oil and vanilla and mix well.

In a smaller, separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon.  Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.  Stir the apples and pecans in by hand.  Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  While the cake is still hot, prepare the glaze.

For the glaze: Combine all of the ingredients into a saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring often until the mixture comes to a gentle boil.  Cook for 3-5 minutes.

Spoon the hot glaze over the still warm cake.  Let the glazed cake cool completely before serving.

(Source:  Adapted from Lick the Bowl Good)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved