Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Holiday Sand Tarts

I know that classic sand tarts are typically sprinkled with a cinnamon-sugar mixture, but I thought it would be so fun to decorate these for Christmas.  After all, I typically only make these around this time anyway!



I had the best helper...my daughter, who turns 4 on Christmas Eve, practically did everything herself.  I rolled the dough, she cut the shapes, brushed them with egg wash and did all the sprinkling! 


I'd say my little helper did an excellent job!  I love getting my kids involved.  Especially Jules - she always wants to help when I bake.  There's so much that they can do at this age and sometimes I feel like I'm just the supervisor!  She's learning so much.


These are supposed to be super thin, like 1/8-inch.  Most of mine ended up about 1/4-inch, which I actually like better.  They don't get as crispy when they are baked if they are a little thicker.  So, whatever your preference.   


So into it!!  


Our cookie cutters were rather large also so you may end up with more or less cookies depending on yours.  The dough should be chilled in between each batch, other wise the cookies won't cut very well.  They'll break and start to stick.  

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen 
Holiday Sand Tarts

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten (but in separate bowls)
1 3/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting work surface
2 teaspoons baking powder
Holiday sprinkles

Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar together.  Mix in 1 of the beaten eggs.  Stir the flour and baking soda together and add to the creamed mixture to make a soft dough.  Wrap in plastic wrap and set in the fridge to chill.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees, lightly grease your cookie sheet and remove chilled dough from fridge.  Generously flour your work surface, and roll the dough about 1/8-inch thick.  Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.  Brush with the remaining beaten egg and top with Holiday sprinkles.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved