Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprout Quinoa Salad

Usually when I get my monthly magazines in the mail, they immediately get tossed one of my (MANY) magazine baskets I have around the house until I have the chance to read them.  For some reason, I was compelled to open this month's Clean Eating magazine right away and there was one salad in there that I immediately had to make.  Their's called for Sorghum, which is a cereal grain, and I didn't have that on hand.  But I did have quinoa...and that's how how this delicious roasted butternut squash and brussel sprout quinoa salad was created!  


I don't know about you, but I'm very ready for fall and the cooler weather.  Does this salad no just scream FALL?  I mean, the colors alone!  It's simply gorgeous!


The squash is roasted in tumeric, and this was my first time using it.  It turns everything yellow FYI! But it's so good and I would roast the squash this way as a side dish in the future.  Tumeric is actually being studied for it ability to prevent or slow the spread of cancer, which is pretty amazing. Definitely a spice I plan on using a lot more...


Serves 4

Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprout Quinoa Salad

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
10-12 Brussel sprouts, trimmed and sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small head radicchio, roughly chopped
sea salt
fresh ground pepper

For the vinaigrette
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  While that heats, cook the quinoa according to the package directions, then set aside.   Add the butternut squash to a large sheet pan and toss with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Roast until squash is tender, stirring a couple of times during cooking, about 40 to 50 minutes.

In a large skillet on medium, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Add the Brussel sprouts and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.  Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking, stir until the garlic is fragrant.  Remove from heat.

To make the dressing:  in a medium bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, orange juice, maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper until combined.  In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, squash, Brussel sprouts, radicchio and vinaigrette.  Toss well to combine.  Store leftovers in the fridge.

(Source: adapted from Clean Eating Mag)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved