Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Healthier Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

One of my favorite things to do lately is to go back through old recipes on my blog and try to "clean" them up a bit.  These healthier pumpkin chocolate chip bars are exactly what I have done here.  And if I do say so myself, I knocked this one out of the park!


I replaced the white sugar with coconut sugar and honey, used white whole wheat flour to replace the all-purpose flour and I seriously cannot tell a difference between these and the old version.  They are just as dense and brownie-like and SO good!   


I just made these two days ago and the entire pan is almost gone.  They are TOO good!  Dangerous to keep around (even if they are healthier!).  I kept mine in the fridge and I swear every time I opened it up, I would sneak a piece off of one of the bars.  It adds up, believe me!  But my kids love them and it feels good to give them a yummy snack that is not full of processed sugar.

Makes 24 bars

Healthier Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

1 cup organic unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup coconut sugar
3/4 cup honey
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 package (12 oz) dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, coconut sugar and honey until smooth.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.  Mix in pumpkin puree.

Combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.  On low speed, mix dry ingredients into wet until just combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Spread batter evenly in pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 30-35 minutes.  Cool completely in pan.  Cut into 24 squares.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved