Monday, July 28, 2014

"Skinny" Pineapple Cupcakes with Greek Yogurt Coconut Icing

I never realized how many different things you can use Greek yogurt for - it's like magic!!  Amazing.  I kept seeing posts on Pinterest for just using a box cake mix mixed with Greek yogurt for a skinnier version of regular cake.  Guess what...it works! 


I was in the mood for something tropical tasting as I had a can of crushed pineapple that keeps staring at me in my cupboard, waiting to be used.  Sort of reminds of a hummingbird cake.  These cupcakes turned out so moist and delicious - I will never go back to oil and eggs again!


I topped them with shredded coconut, you know, in keeping the tropical theme.  And I used Greek yogurt in the icing too!!  As a substitute for butter.  And I used about 2 1/2 cups less confectioner's sugar than I normally use in my cream cheese icing.  The icing was perfect and held up just fine (maybe a little thinner than you are used to but believe me, it works).  Hope you enjoy these "skinny" cupcakes!

Yields 18 cupcakes

"Skinny" Pineapple Cupcakes with Greek Yogurt Coconut Icing

1 box butter yellow cake mix
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple (including the juice)
1/2 cup water

For the icing
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 (8 oz) brick of neufchatel cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Line 2 muffin tins with liners (to equal 18 muffins) and preheat the oven according to directions for cupcakes on the box of cake mix.  Combine all of the ingredients for the cupcakes in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until combined and there are no lumps.  Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full.

Bake according to time on the cake box (mine was 18-21 minutes) or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.

To make the icing, combine the ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until combined.  Spread evenly on each cupcake.  Top with shredded coconut, using about 1 tablespoon per cupcake.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved