Monday, July 14, 2014

Arugula Basil Pesto

We can back from being out of town for a few days and my basil plant was out of control!  And I forgot that I had purchased arugula before we left so I needed to use that as well.  Voila, this pesto was born.   


Arugula is peppery and almost similar in flavor to basil.  The two paired great together!  Garlic, pine nuts (which are so good for you!), olive oil and parmesan cheese, all the usual suspects to make pesto.  So good!  I used it on pasta the same night I made this.  I'm going to use it on my Parmesan Pesto Roasted Tomatoes tonight too!  It doesn't yield much, so consider doubling it and freezing some for later.

Yields about 1 cup

Arugula Basil Pesto

2 cups arugula, loosely packed
1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil

In a food processor, combine the arugula, basil, garlic, walnuts and parmesan cheese.  Pulse a couple of times to get everything combined.  Slowly drizzle the olive oil through the top tube and process until a smooth pesto forms.  You may need to scrape down the sides a few times.  Store in the fridge in an airtight container, with plastic wrap directly on top of the pesto (do not allow any air to get to it).  Freeze for several months the same way.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved