Friday, September 21, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Streusel Topping

 I don't know how it happened, but somehow we turned into an apple family.  I mean, I like apples, not plain, like just to bite into one, but believe me, I won't pass up a big ol' slice of apple pie.  It's just that before kids, we never had apples in the house.  Now, with two little ones, once you find a fruit or veggie that they like, then by God, you stick with it!  Even if you have to cut it up and bribe them with a little peanut butter or Nutella for dipping.


This picture above was taken right before they went into the oven (yum!).  At any rate, since we do have these apples and I bake, I have been using them a lot to make cakes and muffins.  This is actually the same recipe I used for my Apple Cinnamon cake, but a smaller version, with more of a crunchy, oat topping (yum again).  These are great...so moist and dense and great for an on the go breakfast! 

12 Muffins

For the muffins
1 stick of butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups, peeled, diced apples (about 2 apples)
1 tablespoon cinnamon

For the topping
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons oats
2 tablespoons butter, diced

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place liners in the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin.  In a bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together.  In a small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar and add baking soda to dissolve.  Add to butter/sugar mixture and mix well.  Add eggs and mix well.  Add salt, flour and vanilla.  Fold in apples and cinnamon.  

Using an ice cream scoop or measuring cup, scoop batter evenly into the liners of the muffin cups.  In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping and start mashing with a fork (or use your fingers) until it becomes crumbly.  Sprinkle topping evenly over each muffin.  

Bake for 25-30 minutes.    

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved