Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spicy Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas

I LOVE Mexican food...oh my goodness, I could eat it almost everyday!  These chicken enchiladas are a huge hit in my house and are just as good as anything you can get out to eat.  They don't take much time to prepare or assemble (hey, if I can do it while I have a 5 month old on my hip, then anyone can!).  The chicken is pan-steamed so there is no added oil or fats and pulls apart really easily.  


They are incredibly spicy.  You can cut the amount of chipotles in adobo or omit that all together if you want.  They add a nice smokey flavor, but the cumin and chili powder give these enchiladas most of the flavor anyway.   The cheese I used was a Mexican style blend that had Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses blended with taco seasoning.  

Serves 4

Spicy Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas

2 large chicken breasts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced canned chipotles in adobo
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese
Chopped tomatoes and sour cream (optional toppings)

In a large pan that has a tight-fitting lid, bring 1 inch of water to a boil.  Add chicken and cover; reduce the heat to medium-low.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes then remove from heat.  Let chicken steam for another 5-10 minutes until cooked throughout.  Shred with two forks and set aside.   

While the chicken is cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.  Add garlic and cook about 1 minute.  Add flour, cumin, chipotles and chili powder and whisk about 1 minute.  Whisk in broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil.   Reduce to a simmer and cook, whisking occasionally until the sauce has thickened, 5-8 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and pour 1 cup of the sauce over the shredded chicken.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Pour 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of 9 x 13-inch baking pan (or something similar - I used my oval baking dish).  Warm tortillas by stacking them and wrapping with a damp paper towel; microwave for 45 seconds.  Place about a 1/3 of a cup of the chicken mixture down the middle of each tortilla and roll up.  Arrange in your pan seam side down.  Cover with remaining sauce and top with cheese.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is hot and bubbly.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

(Source:  Adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved