Monday, June 1, 2015

Tzatziki

This to me is the freshest of fresh tasting dips!  I think it's the cucumbers - really just reminds me of summertime.  Plus, I got them from my local farmers' market so I think that makes it all the more fresh tasting.  


Yes, I was dipping cucumbers in my tzatziki!  I couldn't help myself.  It was so good.  I served this with another recipe that is coming up soon - Crock Pot Chicken Gyros.  Tender chicken, slow cooked with lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, red onion - oh my!  The cool tzatziki went so well with it!!


If you are using regular plain yogurt, you will have to allow several hours to strain it - really to get it to about the thickness of Greek yogurt.  So, I just used Greek yogurt.  No waiting!  This actually freezes really well too.  Just place in the fridge overnight to defrost the day before you plan on using. 

Makes about 3 cups

Tzatziki

32 ounces plain Greek or regular yogurt
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and seeded
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

Strain yogurt using a cheesecloth over a bowl (coffee filter will work too) for a couple of hours or overnight to get out as much moisture as possible.  If using Greek yogurt, you can omit this step.  

Shred or grate the cucumbers (I used the shredder attachment on my food processor) and blot them with a paper tower or clean kitchen towel to get rid of as much moisture as possible.

In a food processor (or mix by hand), combine the yogurt, shredded cucumbers, garlic, vinegar and lemon juice.  Pulse on low until just combined.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Keep in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.  Store leftovers in fridge or freezer and always serve cold.  

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved