Monday, May 4, 2015

Classic French Toast

We like to stick to a routine on the weekends, especially with food.  Saturdays are usually eggs, bacon and toast and Sundays are for pancakes!  But this past weekend, my husband and I both thought French Toast sounded SO good.    


He took it completely upon himself to find a recipe - this one happens to be Alton Brown's recipe from the Food Network site.  I love that it uses honey as a sweetener because that is what I would have used anyway!      


It was so good!  And a nice little change-up from our usual Sunday breakfast.  We actually ended up making a second batch because my 5-year old and 3-year old each ate more than 2 pieces!  But considering how easy this recipe is, it was literally no trouble at all.

Serves 4

Classic French Toast

1 cup half & half
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 slices day old bread 
butter for frying

In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half & half, eggs, honey and salt (can be done the night before).  Pour mixture into a low, shallow bowl and set aside. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, then remove, allowing the excess egg mixture to drip off.  

Over medium-low heat, melt about 1 tablespoon of butter per two slices in a 10-inch saute pan (I used a griddle).  Place the bread into the pan or on the griddle and cook until golden brown, approximately  2 to 3 minutes per side.  Remove from pan, place on a sheet pan and into the oven for 5 minutes.  Repeat with all remaining slices.  Serve immediately with maple syrup, confectioner's sugar and/or fruit. 

(Source:  adapted from Alton Brown's recipe)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved