Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Chicken and Quinoa Enchilada Bake

Quite honestly one of the best casseroles I have ever had.  Healthy, filling and incredibly delicious. Made for dinner one night and literally ate it 3 days straight for lunch.  Amazing!  


In an attempt to keep this fairly clean, I made my own enchilada sauce.  You might think you don't have time for that.  You are WRONG! :) This is the quickest, easiest homemade sauce ever.  And so much better for you than store bought.


You can skip the chicken if you want to keep this meatless.  I liked the added protein and thought it made for a more substantial dish.  A rotisserie chicken would keep this super simple - just shred and add!


A great meal to make for company because it really makes a lot.  Does NOT taste healthy or lack in flavor at ALL.  Unfortunately, my kids would not eat it - or maybe that was a good thing?  More for me and lunches for the week done!

Serves 6 
Chicken and Quinoa Enchilada Bake

1 cup quinoa
1 cup cooked and shredded chicken
1 1/4 cup Homemade Enchilada Sauce (or 1 (10 oz) can store bought sauce)
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen or canned)
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
1 Roma tomato

In a large saucepan, cook quinoa in 2 cups of water and according to package directions.  Set aside.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.  

In a large bowl, combine quinoa, chicken, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in 1/2 of the shredded cheese.  Spread quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake until bubbly and cheese has all melted, about 15 minutes.  Serve immediately, topped with diced tomato and more cilantro, if desired. 

(Source: adapted from Damn Delicious)

Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. This was delicious. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this a couple of times, and I really like it. I think I actually prefer it without the chicken, but either way is great. And my kids (who are not generally picky to begin with) also devoured it. My older boy is pickier, but he was begging for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this tonight and we really liked it. Do you know the calorie count per serving. I saw the recipe without chicken and it was less than 300. I can't imagine the chicken would add that much. Will definitely make again.

    ReplyDelete

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved