Thursday, March 19, 2015

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I honestly had no intention of posting my sauce recipe, but I shared these pictures a couple of weeks ago on my blog's Facebook page and had a ton of requests for it! The only reason I wasn't sure about sharing is because to me, making sauce is a little of this and a little of that type thing. I'm going to do my best to share how I make it! Sorry about the quality of the pictures...again, not planning on sharing, so these are just off my phone..


For this recipe, you need a HUGE pot.  I use my 7 quart Dutch Oven, but you probably could also use two smaller pots.  When I made it the last time, I actually doubled this recipe and ended up with 7 32-ounce plastic containers (you can find these on Amazon - I use them for everything and they are super cheap!).  So this recipe should yield about 14 cups of sauce.  Plan accordingly so you have enough containers to store in the fridge and freezer!

If you have any questions, feel free to post in the comments or you can send me a message on Facebook.  Enjoy and have fun!!  Sauce day is one of my favorite days!        

Makes about 14 cups

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Extra virgin olive oil
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 (28 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (6 oz) cans Italian seasoning tomato paste
salt and pepper
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder
Sugar or other sweetener (maple syrup, honey, stevia)
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional) 
1 cup dry red wine (optional)

Heat about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pot.  Brown the meat (if using)* and add salt and pepper.  Right before the meat is done, add the chopped onions and cook for a few minutes until translucent, then add garlic.  Saute for a few minutes on medium to medium-low heat.  

Add the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste, Italian seasoning (1 tablespoon), garlic powder (couple of teaspoons), sugar (start with about 2 tablespoons), a pinch of red pepper flakes and the wine if using.  At this point, I usually add another tablespoon or two of olive oil as well.**  

Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a low boil or simmer.  Let simmer for about 3 hours, tasting and seasoning throughout.  You NEED to stir the sauce occasionally so it doesn't stick the bottom of the pot and burn.  Keep tasting and add additional sugar, olive oil, wine, seasonings, or salt and pepper to taste.     

*If not using meat, skip directly to the onions and garlic
** I probably end up adding 1/4 - 1/2 cup of sugar and about 1/4 -1/3 cup olive oil by the time I'm finished 

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved