Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Oreo Brownies with Mint Buttercream Frosting

St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner!  And that means mint flavored everything everywhere.  If you've never tried the mint Oreos before, you are missing out.  Ah-mazing!  And because I couldn't help myself at the store and bought two packages, I thought I could use some of them in baking.


I adapted this recipe from Averie Cooks, but used brownie mix from a box and my own very Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting - and changed the flavor to mint!  You can also use store bought frosting and add the peppermint extract and food coloring to that.  


The Oreos are not only sprinkled on the top, but they are also mixed into the brownie batter before baking.  These are heavenly!  And so rich.  I cut them into 9 large brownies, but ended up eating only 1/2 of one at a time.  You could always make them more bite size by cutting into 16 pieces.

Yields 9 large brownies

Oreo Brownies with Mint Buttercream Frosting

1 box of brownie mix, plus ingredients to make (eggs, oil, water)
6 Mint Oreo cookies, crushed

For the mint buttercream frosting 
1 cup Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, or store bought
1/2-1 teaspoon peppermint extract
5-6 drops green food coloring

For the topping
12 Mint Oreos, crushed

Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Preheat oven and prepare brownies according to package directions, adding the 6 crushed Oreos to the batter.  Bake until just done or a little underdone (do not over bake - if you check with a toothpick, it shouldn't come out completely clean).  Let cool completely and make the frosting.

Add peppermint extract to the buttercream frosting, starting with 1/2 teaspoon.  Add more if desired depending on the strength of your extract.  Add drops of food coloring until a light green color is reached.  Spread frosting over cooled brownies.  Top with the rest of the crushed Oreos, slightly pressing them into the frosting.  Serve chilled and store in fridge, covered.

(Source:  Adapted from Averie Cooks)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved