Monday, March 17, 2014

Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I've done a couple of posts with my Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and since I had some mint frosting leftover from the Mint Oreo Brownies I made last week, I thought I could make these cookies a bit more festive and turn them into a little St. Patty's day dessert.  And who doesn't love a frosting filled cookie sandwich?  
   

The cookies themselves are delightful...you can absolutely omit the frosting in the middle and eat them as is.  Double chocolate!  Cocoa powder and chocolate chips mixed in.  Very buttery and when left really underdone (as I always do with my cookies), they are super gooey in the middle even after cooling.  


This dough is a bit thicker and doesn't really spread out all that much while cooking.  I used a cookie scoop to place the dough on the baking sheet, then pressed it down slightly with my fingers.  That way I got a thinner, flatter cookie for my sandwiches.  

Makes 3 dozen cookies or 18 sandwiches

Double Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

For the mint buttercream filling
2 cups Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, or store bought
1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
5-6 drops green food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together; set aside.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, then add the vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and beat until well blended.  Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.  

Using a cookie scoop, drop the dough onto a cookie sheet (or if using a spoon, it's about 2 tablespoons).

Bake for 8-10 minutes and allow to cool for about 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

While the cookies are cooling, add the peppermint extract to the buttercream frosting, starting with 1 teaspoon.  Add more if desired depending on the strength of your extract.  Add drops of food coloring until a light green color is reached.  Spread frosting on the bottom of one of the cookies, then top with another cookie.  Repeat until there are no more cookies remaining. 

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved