Monday, December 1, 2014

{Healthier} Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ok, I'll admit...I didn't set out to make a healthier cookie.  But I use brown and white sugar so rarely now that I didn't even realize I was (almost) out!!  Since I was ready to make cookies, I made do with what I had...and voila!


Honey and coconut sugar were used as the replacement for the refined sugars.  I did use what white sugar I had left, but it was only 1/4 cup.  The coconut sugar is what really gives these cookies that caramel color, and an almost nutty flavor.  I loved them!  And so did the kids and in-laws that were visiting! 


Ok, there are still 2 sticks of butter...I said they were "healthier", not healthy!  I was just glad that substituting with my go-to clean sweeteners produced a great cookie.  Enjoy!

Makes about 4 dozen 

{Healthier} Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add egg and beat until combined, then add vanilla.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda.  Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet and beat until completely mixed in.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips by hand.  

Using a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for 14-15 minutes.  Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool.   

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved