Thursday, November 20, 2014

Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

I had never really heard of a breakfast "cookie" before I was on Pinterest.  I mean, sure I like a good muffin in the morning every once in awhile, but a cookie?  So, I had to see what it was all about.


Well, I'm hooked.  First of all, they are made will all healthier ingredients - no refined sugars.  They are dense and thick and very filling.  A great quick breakfast on-the-go!  


Do not overbake these.  Because once they cool, they will be on the "drier" side any way.  I did mine for exactly 9 minutes but really probably could have done 8 minutes for an even softer middle.  These will be fun to experiment with.  I think I'll try a cinnamon raisin one next! 

Yields 2 dozen 

Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 egg
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dark chocolate (or semi-sweet) chocolate chunks (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix until combined.  Add the banana, egg, sugar, syrup, honey, yogurt and vanilla.  Mix until everything is incorporated (dough will be very thick).  Stir in chocolate chips by hand.

Roll dough into 2-inch balls and place on baking sheet.  Flatten with the palm of your hand or with the bottom of a glass.  Bake for 9-10 minutes (really no more!!).  They should be slightly soft in the middle.  Cool on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack.  Store in an airtight container for 4 days or in the fridge for up to a week.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved