Wednesday, November 12, 2014

{Clean Eating} Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I've been working on this recipe for a little while and I FINALLY got it!  I used to make banana bread all the time and now, since we've cut out refined sugars, not so much.  Well, I'm pretty pleased with this recipe - you will NOT miss all the sugar that is usually in banana bread.


It is dense but not dried out.  I used dark chocolate chunks, but you could omit them or substitute them for pecans or walnuts as well.  Banana and chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combinations, plus the kids always request chocolate chips in it!    


And it freezes so well too!  I always make two loaves at a time, but if you had to half it, you could, and it turns out great.  To freeze, let it cool, wrap in foil, then place in a freezer bag.  Freeze for up to 3 months (it won't last that long, believe me). 
  
Yields 2 loaves

{Clean Eating} Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup coconut sugar 
4 cups white whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup buttermilk*
6 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using an electric mixer, combine the applesauce, honey and coconut sugar.  Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and add to the sugar mixture.  Add remaining ingredients; mix well.   Stir in the chocolate chips by hand (if using).  Pour into 2 well-greased loaf pans and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 

*Buttermilk substitute: 2/3 cup regular milk with ¾ teaspoon of white vinegar added and let sit for 5 minutes before adding

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved