Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Hummus to me is always just one of those things that I never imagined I would ever make.  I mean store bought is delicious, and I always buy a really good-for-you organic brand so what's the point?  Ok, so that was before I looked at how EASY it was to make and before I tasted what was the best hummus I have ever had!!


The taste is different than store bought, better - fresher.  And there are so many different ways to make it that I can't wait to make more and experiment!  Roasted red pepper has always been my favorite so that's what I decided to start with.  This recipe makes a TON.  If you are not serving it for a party, might I suggest halving it - it only keeps for about 5 days in the fridge (and this recipe yields 3 cups). 


Canned organic chickpeas.  Jarred roasted red peppers.  Tahini paste, which is not as unusual an ingredient as you might think it is.  I found it in my organic section of my grocery store next to soy sauce and other sauces.  Not nearly as daunting a task as I thought it would be!  Seriously easy, folks!!  I would not lead you astray!    

Yields 3 cups

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1/2 cup tahini paste
1/4 olive oil
2 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed and patted dry
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more/less to taste)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
cilantro (optional)

Whisk the tahini paste and olive oil together in a small pourable measuring cup.  Set aside.

Process the chickpeas, red peppers, garlic, salt and cayenne in a food processor until almost completely ground.  Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.  With the machine running, add the lemon juice and process for 1 minute.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then begin processing again, slowly adding the tahini mixture.  Continue processing until the hummus is smooth and creamy.  Garnish with additional chopped red peppers and cilantro if desired.  

Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. 

(Source:  adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved