Saturday, November 9, 2013

Crock Pot Garlic Chicken

I was looking at a pretty busy day ahead us...school drop-offs, pick-ups, doctor appointments, ballet, you name it!  So I knew it was going to be a Crock Pot day.  This recipe is from Martha Stewart and I did adapt it slightly - I used chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken (easier on me), less onion (because I know my family) and substituted minced garlic instead of just halving whole cloves.  


I served my chicken over mashed potatoes and my husband was even blown away - what resulted was a meal that tasted like I spent hours roasting a chicken, complete with gravy!  Which by the way, is also super simple - made right in the Crock Pot at the very end.  

 Serves 2-3

Crock Pot Garlic Chicken

1/2 onion, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped or minced
2 teaspoons dried thyme
salt and pepper
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup white wine
1/3 cup flour, plus more for gravy
1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth

Spray Crock Pot with non-stick cooking spray.  In the bottom of the Crock Pot, place the onions, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper.  Place the chicken breasts on top of bottom layer.  In a small bowl, whisk to combine the wine and flour.  Pour over top of chicken.  Cook on high about 3 1/2 hours (7 hours on low).  Remove chicken and slice (or shred) on a platter.

To make more gravy:  In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth and 1 or 2 tablespoons of flour.  Pour into the bottom of the Crock Pot, whisking to combine the leftover juices with the chicken broth.  Scrape up any brown bits that are stuck the bottom or sides.  Season with more salt and pepper to taste.  Pour some over the plated chicken.  Serve chicken over mashed potatoes with more gravy.

(Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart)

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. What can you use to substitute the wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken broth! That goes for any recipe where wine is called for, like in a sauce. Then, if you still want more gravy at the end, follow my same instructions. Enjoy!

      Delete

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved