Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Fruit Pizza

I kind of went crazy buying fruit at the store the other day.  We were in Sam's Club and you know how they have the different stations with samples sometimes?  Well, they had one set up with some of their fresh fruit - and my kids gobbled in up!  Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, you name it.  We walked out of there with quite a haul of fruit.  Once I find something this good for them that will eat without a fuss, I'm all over it.


So, I froze some and we've been munching on it like crazy, but I wanted to do something fun for my 3-year old's last day of preschool picnic (where has the time gone by the way??).  I decided that a fruit pizza would be cute and festive and really colorful for the kids.  Pretty right?


I also wanted a more substantial cookie - something you could really sink your teeth into.  So, instead of choosing the semi-homemade route (which you know I'm ALL about) and using prepared sugar cookie dough, I made my own.  See how thick and moist the cookie is?  Really just heavenly. 

    Makes about 20 bars

Fruit Pizza

1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups of your favorite fruit, sliced, chopped or whole - I used raspberries, blueberries and peaches
2 tablespoons apricot jam or jelly

Cream Cheese Icing
1 (8 oz) bar reduced fat cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.  In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg.  Add vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.  Add to wet mixture and mix until just combined.  Spread batter on greased baking sheet and use your hands to spread over the entire pan (spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray or dip in water to avoid sticking).  Bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.  Let cool completely and make icing in the meantime.

Make the icing:  using an electric mixer, combine the 3 ingredients and mix well.  Spread over cooled sugar cookie bars.  Arrange your choice of fruit all over the cream cheese in any pattern you like.  Use the apricot jam as a glaze - heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds until it's kind of runny, then use a pastry brush to spread over the fruit.

(Source:  Cookies adapted from Six Sister's Stuff)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved