Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tyler Florence's Ultimate Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes are so great, am I right??  They take me back to lunch time in school, but thinking back, I'm sure those were probably pretty gross.  But we all loved them!  So here is a amped up, so good and actually good for you version that I adapted from Tyler Florence.   


Yum!!  Totally sloppy and it will spill out everywhere!  Just how it should be.  I served them with roasted sweet potatoes, my lazy version of making fries.  A little olive oil, salt and pepper and that's it.  My entire family gobbles them up.  Side note, I use organic, natural ingredients where I can.  The ketchup I used was a natural, no sugar added from either Hunts or Heinz.

Serves 4

Tyler Florence's Ultimate Sloppy Joes

Olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
1 pound lean ground turkey
salt and pepper

For the sauce
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Set a heavy-based pot over medium-high heat and add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil.  Add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until translucent.  Add ground turkey, season well with salt and pepper and brown well all over.  Break it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 7-10 minutes.  Add ketchup, mustard, tomato paste, honey and cayenne.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.  Finish with a splash of red wine vinegar and check for seasoning once more before serving on good rolls.

(Source:  Adapted from Tyler Florence)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved