Friday, February 24, 2012

Scrambled Egg Soup (Stracciatella)

Want a lunch or dinner in literally the time it takes for water (or in this case broth) to boil?  Then this is your dish!  I grew up with my mom making it, never knowing that it wasn't something she just made up on the fly.  It's more commonly called Italian Egg Drop soup or Stracciatella, which comes from the Italian word stracciato, (torn apart) and stracciatelle (little shreds).  Both describe the way the eggs are added into the broth to produce the shreds of cooked egg.  The eggs in my soup always come out looking scrambled, which is why I call it Scrambled Egg Soup, plus it's easier to say than Stracciatella!  


We ate this soup a lot growing up and I definitely remember it not being one of my favorites.  I hadn't had it for years and out of the blue one day I got a huge craving for it; now I make it once or twice a month for my daughter and I for lunch.  Sometimes there are these random moments that really make me feel like a mom - making this for her is one of them.  Plus I feel like it's a wonderfully healthy dish, with a bonus that it tastes great - she absolutely loves it!  

4 Servings

Scrambled Egg Soup (Stracciatella)

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 eggs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
a pinch of nutmeg
pepper to taste

Heat broth over medium-high heat.  Scramble eggs with cheese, nutmeg and pepper.  When broth comes to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and drizzle the eggs into the pot over a fork.  As the eggs cook, move them around slowly with the fork to form the shreds of eggs.  Serve with crackers or good bread.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved