Thursday, January 29, 2015

Carrot and Raisin Morning Muffins

I admit that I'm pretty lucky as far as being successful when trying out new recipes.  Not the case with this one!  The first time I made them, they weren't awful, but man were they dry!  And when something like that happens, I see it as a challenge...I had to get them right! 


I adapted these from a Martha Stewart recipe, which called for white flour and brown sugar.  But I forgot that when substituting whole wheat flour, it's drier so you need to add more moisture.  A little extra milk and some unsweetened applesauce did the trick!


The second batch was awesome!!  Not dry AT ALL and packed with lots of goodies - carrots, raisins, and oats.  Good and good for you - and your kiddos!  These make a perfect after school snack.

Makes 12 muffins


Carrot and Raisin Morning Muffins

1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce 
1 1/4 cup shredded carrots

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix until there are no lumps.  Mix in the oats and raisins.  Add oil, egg, milk, honey, applesauce and carrots and mix until blended.

Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes.  Serve warm or room temperature.  Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.  

(Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart)       
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved