Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

I was recently contacted by Chobani to participate in their #MadeWithChobani project.  How fun!  Their Greek yogurt has become a staple in our house and I can't tell you the number of dips, baked goods, dinners, sauces, etc. I've made with it.  But for this, I wanted something special, something decadent.


How about some double chocolate muffins??  Cocoa powder plus dark chocolate chips make up the two chocolate parts of these.  They are a healthy-but-you-honestly-wouldn't-know-it-if-I-didn't-tell-you muffin.  Seriously.  You could make these, slather on some icing (probably using Greek yogurt again!) and call them a cupcake.  Decadent is absolutely a word I would describe these.   


I did half of the chocolate chips in the batter, then sprinkled the other half on top.  You can see that made them sink down in the middle a bit.  If that bothers you, you can put all them in the batter.  But before you decide, let me tell you what happens - the little bites of chocolate chips on top get all melty and it's almost like biting into a truffle.  Mind made up??  Thought so...  
  

The first time I made these, it made exactly 12, but the next time it made 16!  So if you don't overfill the muffin cups (3/4 of the way full is good) then you get a little more out of this batter.  

 Makes 14-16 muffins 

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup Chobani nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, divided in half

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 12-cup and a 6-cup muffin tin with liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.  In a large bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir to combine.  Add all of the wet ingredients and stir to combine.  Stir in 1/4 cup of the dark chocolate chips by hand.  Scoop the batter into the muffin cups (I use an ice cream scoop to do this!) and fill 3/4 of the way full.  Bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Check at 12 minutes and top with remaining chocolate chips if the tops have firmed up slightly.  If not, check again at 15 minutes, then sprinkle the chocolate chips.  

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved