Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Double Layer "Dirt" Cake

I have been dreaming of this cake for the past couple of weeks.  I originally envisioned it being one of those "poke" cakes, but my 13 x 9-inch pan was already being used for the lasagna we were having for dinner!  So I had no choice but to do 2 round cake pans.  This is the exact recipe that is used for "Dirt" - pudding, cream cheese, butter, confectioner's sugar, cool whip and Oreos, but cranked up a notch...all of that yumminess on top of chocolate cake!   


I flipped the cake out of pan onto this plate and just left it upside down.  You don't have to keep it like this, I was just being lazy and figured it didn't hurt anything.  And I did still poke some holes in the top of the cake - I wanted that pudding mixture all through this cake.


Then a layer of pudding, mixed with cream cheese, butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla and cool whip is spread on the bottom layer, followed by crushed Oreos!!  Can it get any better than that??


Oh yes, it can...another layer of cake, topped with the pudding mixture, topped with more Oreos.  


In a word?  Heaven.  


It certainly did not take long for us to dig right in.  Look at those layers!  You can really see where the pudding had started to combine with the cake (since we poked the holes!).  I had extra of the pudding and the Oreos so I just threw that in a bowl, just like the traditional Dirt recipe.  If you did a 13 x 9-inch pan, you may not have extra of anything, but I do love the layers on this cake!   


Double Layer "Dirt" Cake

1 box of chocolate cake mix (your favorite - I used chocolate fudge) and all the ingredients needed to prepare the cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (3.5 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups milk
1 (12 oz) container Cool Whip
1 bag of Oreos

Prepare and bake chocolate cake according to package directions in 2 round cake pans.  Let cool and turn out on a plate or cake stand.

While the cake bakes, place all of the cookies into a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin (as fine or as chunky as you like).  Mix butter, cream cheese, confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl.  In a large bowl, mix milk and pudding together.  Fold in Cool Whip.  Combine the pudding mixture and the butter mixture together.

Once the cake has cooled, spread about 1/3 of the pudding mixture onto the first layer.  Top with crushed Oreos (enough to cover).  Set the other cake layer on top of the Oreos and repeat with pudding mixture, then Oreos.  Serve immediately because you won't be able to wait!  Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved