Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Double chocolate muffins that are...healthy?  Yes please!!


Not only do these have a full cup of zucchini (yes, a vegetable!), but they are made using applesauce and coconut oil, honey and NO refined sugar.  They are dense and moist and a perfect breakfast on-the-go muffin.    


I suggest you double the recipe!  They freeze SO well.  I did actually double it because I had an extra zucchini I needed to use.  I'm glad I did.  They went too fast!

Yields 12 muffins

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup skim milk or almond milk
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, divided (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.  After you've peeled and shredded the zucchini, squeeze out the excess water with a paper towel (do not skip this step!).

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add coconut oil, honey, vanilla and eggs; mix on medium-low until smooth and well combined.  Add in zucchini, applesauce and milk and mix again.  Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Gently fold in about 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips.

Using an ice cream scoop, pour the batter into the cupcake liners, about 3/4 way full.  Evenly sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on the top of the cupcakes.  Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let cool for 5 minutes, remove muffins and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

(Source:  Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE eCookbook!

Search

My photo
I'm a super busy mom of 3 and a Beachbody coach. Follow along as I try to find a balance between eating good food and keeping my family healthy and happy! We eat mostly clean with a few fun treats thrown in every once in awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

What I'm Pinning...

I'm on Instagram!



Rivit Media
PublisherMunchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved